From 26th April, you will be able to reserve books online and collect them from the “Reserved Books” shelf. To reserve books please click here which will take you to the reserve website. Make sure you select Upperthorpe Library as your collection point.
You cannot browse the books in the library and borrow them.
You will only be able to borrow and return books using the Machine in the library.
We will update the website as soon as we have a firm date for the next phase of our reopening.
The computers in the library are not available for use yet. We know that this is an important service for many people and are working very hard to get everything COVID safe so that the computers can be used.
We thank you for your patience and look forward to seeing you all soon.
Upperthorpe Library is an associate Library managed by Zest and run on a day to day basis by a team of dedicated volunteers. The library is based in the Zest Centre and is open 7 days a week.
Library Facilities include
- Self Issue facility
- A wide variety of fiction and non-fiction books and talking books for adults
- A wide variety of childrens books including first books, picture books, young readers books, funny stories, animal stories and spookie stories. There are also non-fiction books and a homework reference section
- Books in Somali, Chinese and Urdu
- DVDs available
- ICT Suite that includes:
- 8 computers for public use all with free internet access
- Regular activities include:
- Reading Group, read and discuss a new book every month. 2nd Monday of each Month 6:00pm – 7:00pm
- Shake, Rattle & Sing for 0-3’s Wednesdays, 10:30 – 11:30
- Play Reading Group Thursdays 10:30am – 12:30pm
- Homework Zone Friday after school 3.30pm – 5:00pm
- Events for children during school holidays
It is free to join the library – adults need to provide 2 proofs of ID. There is no charge to borrow books although fines are charged if items are returned late. There is a small hire charge for DVDs.
Children can join the library from birth and we have lots of books for babies.
For further details of all Library services including access to online reference materials please visit the Sheffield Libraries website.
The People’s Network has 8 computers which are available to use at the following times:
Monday 7:30am – 8:00pm
Tuesday 7:30am – 8:00pm
Wednesday 7:30am – 8:00pm
Thursday 7:30am – 8:00pm
Friday 7:30am – 7:00pm
Saturday 10:00am – 4:00pm
Sunday 9:30am – 1:30pm
Please note that Zest reception will only be able to allow access to the IT suite to existing card holders who already have their username and password. All new requests for access to the IT suite must be made when Library volunteers are on duty or at one of the Libraries still operated by Sheffield City Council – the nearest SCC Libraries are at Hillsborough or in the city centre.
For Volunteering Opportunities click here