Post Title: Sessional Youth Worker (Level 2)
Location: Various across North Sheffield
Rate of pay: £11.30 per hour
Reporting To: Youth Services Coordinator
Responsible for: Level 1 youth workers
Hours: 7 hours per week (0.18fte)
Post available until December 2023 in the first instance
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Children & Young People’s team at Zest in Upperthorpe. This role will also cover other areas of Sheffield including Stocksbridge, Stannington and Hillsborough (Middlewood).
You will oversee the delivery of youth services and activities for Zest and partner agencies and to contribute to ongoing development to ensure we encourage, inspire and support the personal development of young people aged 11-18 in a youth club setting.
You will have responsibility for the planning, delivery and organisation of sessions including activities; ensuring staffing levels are in place; directing and supervising staff activity; monitoring and evaluation of sessions.
Purpose of Job:
To oversee the delivery of youth services and activities for Zest and to contribute to ongoing development to ensure we encourage, inspire and support the personal development of young people aged 11-18.
You will have responsibility for the delivery, planning and organisation of sessions including activities; ensuring staffing levels are in place; directing and supervising staff activity; monitoring and evaluation of sessions.
Main Responsibilities and Duties:
- To lead on planning, set up/putting away and facilitation of all weekly youth activities including directing and supervising staff and volunteer activity.
- To accurately record, monitor and evaluate work with young people and report to Youth Services Coordinator on a monthly basis to ensure quality of provision.
- Initiate, develop and maintain positive relationships with young people in order to identify key issues relevant to them and provide appropriate information, advice and guidance.
- To work with the Youth Services Coordinator, service users and external stakeholders as appropriate to plan, develop and provide new sessions and activities.
- To promote youth activities and sessions to young people in the area
- To ensure staffing is in place for all sessions.
- To work with young people to safeguard their welfare and ensure that they and the staff take positive actions to safeguard young people they come into contact with, and follow policies and procedures around safeguarding appropriate to their level of post
- To be responsible for the security of buildings, equipment and any monies collected in project sessions.
- To liaise with other services and Youth Services Coordinator where a young person may require additional and/or more specialist support, encouraging appropriate referrals of young people into relevant services.
- Ensure all incidents are reported as required.
- To part take in some weekend work and residential activities
- To participate in appropriate training activities and encourage and support staff in their development and training.
- Undertake any other responsibilities and duties of the post, as required by the Youth Services
- To carry out all duties and responsibilities as described in line with Zest policies and procedures, with particular attention to those relating to Equal Opportunities and Health and Safety.
- You must have a qualification in youth work or a related field at Level 2 or higher
- Knowledge of the issues which affect young people especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Knowledge, understanding and experience of the Child Protection Procedures
- Experience of working with young people from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Experience of planning of sessions for young people
- Experience of monitoring and evaluating sessions
- Experience of risk assessing sessions and behaviour management
Abilities and Skills
- Ability to lead sessions including briefing staff, leading on behaviour management and dealing with issues
- Ability to organise sessions with outside providers
- Ability to contact, engage, inspire and motivate young people
- An ability to build positive, professional relationships with young people
- Able to communicate well with young people in both groups and one to one.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to work on own initiative
- A commitment to supporting the progression of young people
- A commitment to equal opportunities
- A commitment to undertaking relevant training as required
- To deliver an excellent service to the local community
- To maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Evening is required
- Weekend work may be required
To apply please send your C.V. to HR@zestcommunity.co.uk or post to Zest, 18 Upperthorpe, Sheffield S6 3NA by Monday 18th September 2023
A full job description and person specification can be downloaded from our website at www.zestcommunity.co.uk/working-for-us.
Any informal enquiries regarding this post should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shortlisting will take place week commencing 18th September 2023 with interviews the same week.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ZEST is working towards best-practice in equality of opportunity.