Post Title Senior Weight Practitioner (Enhanced offer)
Location Zest Centre and citywide
Term of Contract to June 2022
Hours 37 hours per week
Holidays 25 days + 8 statutory days pa
Responsible to Programme Coordinator
Purpose of Job
The post holder will provide support and advice to individuals who are referred to the Live Lighter adults service by facilitating one to one and group sessions. The post holder will also be responsible for providing training and support to partners delivering the Live Lighter service; ensuring that sessions and resources are in line with public health/government guidelines.
- To work flexibly as a member of the Zest Live Lighter Enhanced team, liaising with colleagues as appropriate.
- To deliver Very Brief Advice Training to professionals.
- To support and train partners to deliver the Live Lighter Programme.
- To be fully responsible for a caseload of overweight and obese adults who are seen on a regular basis, usually weekly.
- To deliver Zest’s programme of one to one and group-based weight management sessions for overweight and obese adults. You will:
- Provide accurate information in line with government guidelines about overweight and obesity, nutrition and physical activity
- Support individuals, through motivation, behaviour change methods and empowerment, to help make healthy lifestyle changes and sustain lasting health improvement, particularly around obesity.
- Provide dietary and exercise advice, setting targets and monitoring the individuals to ensure they are working towards agreed targets.
- Support individuals to understand how their behaviour/s might affect their health and wellbeing and understand the barriers they may have in relation to changing this.
- Respond in a timely manner to client referrals, in line with contract Key Performance Indicators, ensuring all forms of communication are exhausted (text service, phone calls, emails).
- Actively support adults to complete the 12 week service in line with Key Performance Indicators
- Keep accurate records. Measure and record client progress through qualitative and quantitative questionnaires; measurements of weight, height, waist circumference and calculating BMI.
- Report to the Manager the progress of the case load on a regular basis and discuss any arising issues.
- Support the promotion of health and health improvement within the local community as appropriate, signposting where appropriate and maintaining good relationships with local agencies.
- Support the coordinator in developing service programme manuals, sessions and resources. Locate reputable resources to assist behaviour change, maintaining an adequate supply of locally appropriate resources for use by individuals/families.
- Supervise and support the weight practitioners.
- Take an active part in developing own knowledge and skills of work procedures and practices.
- To carry out any associated administrative duties as required.
- To ensure the service works towards best practice in equality of opportunity.
- To undertake training and other development activity in line with organisational and personal development needs.
- To undertake any other duties as agreed with the Manager.
- To carry out all duties and responsibilities as described in line with ZEST policies and procedures, with particular attention to those relating to Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety and regarding volunteers who will work with children and vulnerable adults.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Degree or other qualification in Public Health, Nutrition or similar field
- Experience and understanding of obesity issues
- Experience of supporting adults in one to one and group work settings
- Excellent communication skills and experience of sharing information to a range of audiences
- Experience of managing own case load of clients and working to targets
- Strong organisational skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Ability to work in a team
- Good IT Skills
- Experience of data collection and monitoring
- A relevant qualification in training eg Award in Adult Education and/or experience of delivering training or facilitating group sessions
Circumstances and Commitment
- Able to work evenings and weekends
- To support the aims of Zest
- Commitment to equality of opportunity
- Positive attitude to individuals who are overweight or obese
- Ability to travel around the city and car ownership
- Experience in a similar role
- Understanding of relevant government policy and guidelines re: obesity/nutrition/physical activity
- Experience of working in a community setting
- Experience of using Patient Activation Measures
- Experience of supervising staff
- Experience of recruiting and supporting volunteers
- Ability to speak more then one language that is used by local people
All applications must be on a Zest application form – we will not accept CVs. Completed application forms must be returned to HR@zestcommunity.co.uk or posted to – Zest, 18 Upperthorpe, Sheffield S6 3NA. Any informal enquiries regarding this post should be directed to email@example.com
Closing date: Friday 25th June 2021 at 17:00
Interviews will take place via Zoom on Wednesday 7th July 2021, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ZEST is working towards best-practice in equality of opportunity.