Post Title: Deputy Chief Executive
Location: Zest Centre
Rate of Pay: £36,000-38,000 pro rata plus contributory pension, Westfield Health Scheme contributions and discounted leisure membership
Hours: 37 hours (1.0 fte) per week willing to discuss flexibility/ options on hours for the right candidate
Holidays: 25 days + statutory rising to 30
Responsible to: Chief Executive
Purpose of Job
To work with the Chief Executive to enable effective strategic leadership and development of
the organisation. The post holder will work collaboratively to manage, develop and enhance
Zest assets, services and systems.
To lead, more specifically, in the management and development of Zest’s health service offer,
including identifying and positioning the organisation to access future opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. To work in partnership with Leadership Team colleagues to develop, deliver and review
company strategic objectives
2. To provide senior leadership and management of Zest’s health service offer.
3. To work in partnership with Trustees, Chief Executive and Management Team to sustain
and develop Zest assets and services.
4. To identify and secure new funding, contracts and business opportunities for Zest. This
will include business planning, preparing financial forecasts, drafting tenders and funding
5. To work in partnership with the Chief Executive to ensure the effective financial and
contract management of the company, with a priority focus on health services.
6. To recruit, develop and manage staff in order to deliver high quality services.
7. To work in partnership with the Leadership Team to develop effective contract
performance and management systems.
8. To develop and maintain strategic relationships with external partners, commissioners
9. To maintain an up to date knowledge of policy and practice developments in relation to
10. To undertake external and consultancy work, as appropriate.
11. To deputise for the Chief Executive, as appropriate
12. To undertake any other duties as agreed with the Chief Executive
13. To undertake training and other development activity in line with organisational and
personal development needs.
To carry out all duties and responsibilities as described in line with Zest policies and
procedures, with particular attention to those relating to Equal Opportunities, Health and
Safety and regarding volunteers who will work with children and vulnerable adults. This will
include DBS checks being carried out where necessary.
Experience, skills and ability
1. Recent senior management experience.
2. Experience of business planning, business development, bid writing and other
forms of income generation.
3. Experience and ability to build effective and influential relationships with key
partners, stakeholders and colleagues.
4. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a broad range of people,
using both oral and written skills.
5. Excellent contract and financial management experience & skills.
6. Experience of developing and managing effective contract performance monitoring
7. Experience of community centred health & wellbeing service leadership, management
8. Experience of recruiting, managing and developing staff.
Knowledge and understanding
9. Knowledge and understanding of policy issues affecting the voluntary and
10. Knowledge and understanding of local, community centred strategic health strategy,
frameworks and service landscape.
11. A pragmatic approach and ability to find creative solutions to business
12. Commitment to the vision and values of Zest.
13. Commitment to equality of opportunity
14. Resilient, and able to thrive in a challenging, changing environment.
15. Flexible approach to working hours and willing to work evenings and weekends
To be responsible for the effective operational management of the Zest Centre, encompassing the effective management of leisure staff, services, facilities. Working in collaboration with all departments, to create an environment that is friendly, welcoming and supportive.
Please download the application pack and form from here. All applications must submitted on a Zest application form.
(Please note CVs will not be accepted)
Completed application forms must be returned to HR@zestcommunity.co.uk
For an informal chat about the role please e-mail email@example.com to arrange a call back.
*we will consider some flexibility on hours for the right candidate.
Closing date: Friday 21st May 2021 at 6.00pm
Interviews will take place on 27th and 28th May 2021,
only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Zest is working towards best-practice in equality of opportunity.